-----

-----

April 9, 2012

Grandma's Pound Cake

Easter Sunday dessert! MmmmMmmmMmmmm!!! Us Jilek's, we grew up eating my grandma's pound cake all the time. It was/is always a special treat. :) I know you will love it too! And I know the ingredients seem heavy... but it's worth it!


Grandma Jilek's Pound Cake

1/2 lb butter
1/2 cup Crisco
3 cups sugar
5 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract [or try almond extract, your choice] 
2 tsp lemon extract



1. Set the oven to 325 degrees. 

2. Cream butter, sugar and Crisco together. Mix well.

3. Add 1 egg at a time. Mix well.

4. Add sour cream. Mix well.

5. Add flour and baking powder. Beat together well.

6. Add milk and flavoring. [Make sure to add this last] Beat together until smooth.
 

7. Grease and flour bundt pan lightly.








Carefully pour the mix into the pan.  



Smooth it out.


Bake 1 1/2 hours.  









**DO NOT OPEN OVEN WHILE THE CAKE IS BAKING**


Listen, I know it's tempting, I do it almost every time I bake. But Grandma Jilek said, "Now Stephanie, don't open the oven while it cooks or it will go flat!" So, take her advice as I did! If you want to look at the cake during it's process, simply turn on the oven light and watch, but do not open the oven! :)





Once it is cooked, take it out and let it cool for about 10 minutes. 











Then place on a cookie rack.
 


ENJOY!



I made a glaze to drizzle over top. We usually have it plain, but the glaze was a nice touch. It's delicious either way! But here is the glaze if you want it:

Lemon Glaze
2 cups powdered sugar
3 tbs milk
1/2 tsp lemon extract

Mix together and drizzle a bit on top of your piece!  

I hope everyone had a blessed Easter! He is Risen!

1 comment:

  1. Awww Steph it looks like you did a wonderful job making Grandma Jilek's pound cake, I haven't even made it yet...cause she's always made it any time we've ask LOL and now we know you can do it too. Nice touch with quoting her about not opening the oven. I'll show her your blog next time I see her. Love you!

    ReplyDelete