-----

-----

March 13, 2012

The BEST Shrimp & Grits You'll Ever Eat!

I promise you, this recipe will become a regular in your household. It is delicious! I never had grits, let alone shrimp & grits, before I moved to NC. And even then, it had been 3 years living here before I tried it. It wasn't until I had this meal at Taylor's while we were dating, and man oh man! it. is. gooooood.!! :) So, let me not waste any time. . . here is the recipe!

Shrimp & Grits[Thank you, Gisele for the recipe]!

1 cup stone ground grits
1/4 of a stick of butter
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
8 pieces of bacon strips, raw & chopped
1 pound peeled & de-veined, shrimp
1 medium garlic clove, minced
3 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp dried parsley
1 cup [or just under a cup] green onion, chopped
** 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper [optional] 


1. Cook the grits, follow the instructions on the grits box.


2. After the water boils & the grits are added, let it simmer 15 minutes.










3. Add the butter & cheese, set aside.







Hubby joined me in the kitchen :-D Such a blast!!! 




4. Fry the bacon in a deep pan until it's nice and crispy.










Remove the bacon and set aside on a paper towel. [Hide the bacon so you don't eat it]!




Run warm water over your shrimp to thaw them out.

[I'd do this while you are starting the grits & bacon to save time].  

Then, my amazing husband, de-tailed the shrimp!

* Simply pinch the tail & pull right off.



5. In the BACON GREASE, yes, keep the bacon grease - this is the best part ;). Put the crushed red pepper, garlic & shrimp into the bacon grease. Cook on medium for 3 minutes.

** With the crushed red pepper, the meal is real spicy. If you don't want spicy omit the crushed red peppers. If you want a hint of spice, add less than 1/2 tsp. I've had it both ways, and both are good. Tay & I personally like it with all the spice. :)

6. Add the lemon juice, parsley & green onion. Immediately pull off the heat.


7. Add the bacon, stir.






Then add the shrimp & goodies to the grits.

[Grab a spatula(!), you don't want to waste any of the goods]!


Mix together.


Enjoy!!! 








1 comment:

  1. Ooooh....makes me soooo hungry!! Love this recipe...thank you Eileen Blackburn!!

    ReplyDelete